After the mutiny in 1789 the Bounty sailed for Tahiti where most of the mutineers stayed, only to end up being tracked down by the British Navy and returned to England for trial. The rest sailed on to remote Pitcairn Island where they stripped and burned the Bounty, sinking her in the bay.
In 1932 all that remained of the Bounty was the rudder, which was raised from what was now known as Bounty Bay. The rudder was gifted to Fiji by the British and was stored in Pitcairn’s post office while waiting for shipment. During this time many souvenir seekers stripped off bits and pieces of this famous item, leaving only the part that is displayed in the Fiji Museum today.